Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The journey was long: I left at 6.30 from my house (and by the way the taxi didn't show up and I tried calling them and they said they weren't coming, so I started panicking. Thank God Saint Michela picked up the phone and gave me a ride – I was ready to walk otherwise), and arrived at the apartment at 17.00 of the next day (Russian time). I am still confused as to what day it is.

I would say that my Russian experience started at the airport,
where almost everyone leaving was Russian. It was such a different atmosphere than the one you usually see at the gate: people were mingling, chatting, getting together as if they'd known each other forever. I met these three ladies who took care of me and gave plenty of advice as to what to do in Moscow. The plane left an hour late, so I knew I missed the connection already, but getting another flight was easy. The airport, at least the part I saw, is very modern and everyone spoke English. The flight attendants on the flight from Moscow to Petersburg were not as nice, but I managed. It was -20 Celsius in Moscow when I arrived (-4 F), and I guess around -12 (10 F) in SPB. I wasn't wearing my warmest clothes as I figured I would be inside most of the time, the only 10 seconds I spent outside were on the shuttle from the plane to the airport. I could tell it was cold but I wasn't feeling cold, except that my legs started trembling (or shaking, rather) and I couldn't control them. I had also been sitting for a long time though. People have very different ways to deal with the cold. A lot of women wear furs and fur hats, and man have fur lined coats, but most of them dress normally underneath. Others don't even seem to bother: I saw plenty of people wearing a suit and a coat, or normal jackets and sneakers. What everyone does, though, is complaining about how cold it is. Everyone on the plane, and the three people I talked with: Natalja, her husband and the taxi driver. It seems to be a favorite topic for conversation. Right now it's 1 F (-17 C), and it's supposed stay this cold for the whole day. Last night (I then woke up at 10 and stayed up till 1) I was getting concerned about all sorts of things, like what if I slip on the ice and break a leg, what if my nose freezes, what if an icicle falls on my head as I'm walking on the sidewalk – actually, this is what a saw as I got home this morning: a man pickaxing the ice from the top floor of my building. I took a video of it but I don't know how to flip it -I'll see if I can work on it. In the meantime, here's a picture:




This was on my way back from the Church of Saint Isaac. More later :)
Anna


And here's the video, I hope:


No comments:

Post a Comment