Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ermitage - Part Two


I had no idea they had so much Matisse at the Ermitage! Three, three entire rooms filled with his paintings - amazing!

Two of my favorite paintings in one room: the "Dance" (facing the "Music"), and "The Red Room."


This used to be one of my favorite paintings, and now that I saw it in person it definitely is. I kept walking in and out the room, I couldn't decide to finally leave it. The painting is amazing, the more I look at it the more I fall in love with it. The lady thinks she's just setting the table, while everything around here is dancing, and the tablecloth is also the wallpaper and they are a blue woods, the window a painting (or vice versa), and all these colors just jump out of the frame and take you in with them. After five minutes that you look at it I swear it starts moving. Also, interestingly, the frame doesn't cover it perfectly and you can see beyond the contour. A sort of double framing, or some sort of postmetasomething for the joy of the postmetamodern eye :) 


It is one of the few felicitously set rooms of the museum, not only a jumble of random works, but a semi-coherent display of dancing paintings and paintings about dancing.


I don't usually like to take pictures of paintings, but here I couldn't keep myself because I couldn't believe my luck!

And can you believe that something like this


lives in here


?

Beauty comes in many shapes 



No comments:

Post a Comment